INFO FOR ESCORT BOAT CAPTAINS
Basic Escort Requirements:
1. Power boats and powered sailboats are suitable. Recommended hull length 18 feet or greater. Boat and captain should be able to handle, and be self sufficient in, open-water conditions up to 20 knots.
2. Escort boats must be licensed, insured for liability and be equipped with all safety equipment required by Canadian/Ontario law.
3. Escort boats must be equipped with a VHF radio in working condition and carry an appropriate navigation device (GPS).
4. Captains must have a valid pleasure craft operator card and have experience on Lake Ontario.
5. Escort boats must have one spotter in addition to the captain.
6. Boat must be able to accommodate driver, spotter and paddler (up to three paddlers for a relay team), as well as the paddleboard.
Logistics and Best Practices:
Boat captains should attend the check-in/social in Port Dalhousie the evening before the race. Boats are required to be in the start-line waiting area by 6:30 AM on race day. Please plan accordingly. Captains must be confirmed in the waiting area before paddler can move to the start line.
Mooring is available in Port Dalhousie (reservations are recommended).
Boats should maintain position behind/beside paddler, and not approach closer than 50 feet.
Engines should be off or in neutral during relay/nutrition exchanges – be extremely mindful of potential propeller injury, especially in rough water.
Boat captains should take responsibility for charting an appropriate line across the lake.